There are so many benefits to working from home. If you know me then you know that I have had a million different jobs in my lifetime. I have worked retail, sales, tech, self-employed all of it. Through all of my different jobs I never thought about or even sought out a job where I could work from home. It just never occurred to me that it was a possibility. But then it actually happened.
For the past 10 years my main job has been in the software industry. At the time I was working for a business that provided software to city utility companies. I worked out of a tall building near the airport and went to work everyday, but the the business was actually headquartered in Washington D.C. and I live in Dallas.
One day they got smart and decided that they no longer needed the office in Dallas so they closed up shop on our office and decided that everyone in that office was going to receive laptops so that they could work from home.
And just like that I had a stay at home job. Now I no longer work for that business and my work schedule has thankfully changed. The idea of working from home sounds very appealing for most. You can wear whatever you, you don’t have to deal with annoying coworkers, you don’t have to deal with traffic etc. But there are definitely some things to know and think about before you jump right in.
Remember to turn work off. When you work from home it is easy to keep going and going and going. And look at that email inbox one more time before you go to bed. You have to be diligent about turning everything off and go live you life.
It is so easy to become a hermit when you work from home. You never leave and go out into the world and see people. That’s what happened to me. I became so isolated working at home. I discovered that I had to be intentional about making plans to go out and see new people, faces, places and restaurants.
But the positives out weigh the negatives. When you work from home you can focus and get more done. You feel more comfortable in your own environment. You have more ability to craft your life.
Benefits of work from home:
- Better work life balance
- Less distractions – get more done
- Feel more comfortable in your own space
- You don’t have to ask to use the bathroom or get up and walk around.
- You can actually go outside
So here we go, 16 work from home jobs:
- Dog walker/pet sitter – Get outside in your neighborhood and meet your neighbors.
- Answer surveys – Fill out online survey for cash or gift cards.
- Customer Service Rep – Almost every products company has a customer serivces department and they need people to work with their customers to make them happy.
- Programmer – If you know how to code you have a highly in demand skill. Leverage it.
- Medical coding – Medicine is the largest industry in the United States. Doctors need to people help them do billing.
- Watch videos – If you have an iPhone or iPad and internet connection you can watch videos through websites and apps and earn cash or gift cards.
- Blog – write something everyday. All you need is a computer and internet connection and your business if off and running.
- Drop shipping store – Create an online store and you do not even need to keep inventory.
- Graphic design – If you know photoshop or some other design skill leverage it to create images that business need for marketing and sales.
- Design T-Shirts and products – If you are creative you can create a line of clothing from home and sell it to the masses.
- Online personal trainer – Have a great “body of work” ;). Help other people get in shape.
- Bookkeeping – Taxes, taxes, taxes. We all have to pay them. Help a business keep the books.
- Day trading – Maybe you know how to buy and sell stocks for a profit. Better than me. Go for it.
- Child care – Do you love children and teaching about the world as they grow? Millions of moms are running at home daycare services.
- Tutor – English, Math – We all have a skills that we can teach others.
- Flipping domain names – Buy and sell websites or domain names.
Bonus: Online marketing, website builder, writer, coach
There are so many different options from this list that can make you rich and get you to financial independence.
Pick a job that plays to your strengths. And if you don’t know your strengths try out a few different jobs to see which one fits better than others.
Don’t get discouraged.
I have been blogging for years. I am a good writer, but there are so many times I wanted to quit because I felt that no one was reading and I was just wasting my time. But the more you do something the better you get at it. The more you understand about what you are doing.
So if you do not see results right away, keep going. Find other people that can support you and give you encouragement.
If you do not currently work from home negotiate with you employer to work from home. You have power working for your company. It is cheaper for a company to keep you happy and working for them, rather than hire and train a new employee. Start with working from home one day a week and increase the amount over time. You have the power.
What kind of jobs do you have? Leave a comment.
Email me your thoughts: firstname.lastname@example.org